Monday, January 19, 2015

A Zoltar robot does seem pretty standard, mind you...


As a kid, I loved the redubbed anime import Battle of the Planets. I remember making my own little wrist communicator like G-Force, from paper and a rubber band: I wanted toys from that show in the worst way, but had to settle for a somewhat subpar comic. From 1979, Battle of the Planets #4, "The Creeping Forest" Written by Gary Poole, pencils by Winslow Mortimer.

I only had two issues of this back in the day, and wasn't sure there were more until I found a couple in the dollar bin at the Comic Book Shop. Not unlike some of Gold Key's Star Trek comics, these seem to have been produced with only a passing glance at any sort of reference material. On the other hand, I know I read the 2002 Image version as well, but I'm not sure I remember anything about it except it may have ended on a cliffhanger. Well, it's been due for a re-read, the next time I see it...

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Seems on par with MOTU comics doesn't it?

I remember seeing the ads for the Image versions of G-Force with those sweet Alex Ross covers. You said you had some? Were they decent enough or nothing more than better-drawn hype?

googum said...

I have to re-read it...I want to say, beyond the great Ross covers, it was trying to go a little deeper than just a greatest-hits cover of the original; but I don't remember if it was good...

Well, that's why I hang on to stuff! Wherever it is...