Thursday, December 11, 2014

Now, if I find the ones I already bought...


The local comic shop knows if they put a full run of a limited series in the dollar bin, I'll usually grab it right up. But every once in a while other stores come through, too; although now I think I should have a tag for when I buy an issue I already have because it's right there and it's easier than trying to find it. But this was still cheaper than the trade: from 2008, Batman Confidential #17-21, "The Cat and the Bat" Written by Fabian Nicieza, art by Kevin Maguire.

This was a five issue arc, billed as the first meeting of Catwoman and Batgirl. As Barbara Gordon, Batgirl borrows a notebook of her dad's, Commissioner Gordon; which Catwoman promptly steals. Batgirl had been trying to figure out the coded notes in order to see if Gordon knew anything about Batman's secret identity, but hadn't been able to crack it, so it could be anything. After a chase sequence running a couple of issues and through a nudist club, Catwoman explains she needs the notebook to save a life, and they team-up against the Russian mob; which has brought a big-name Batman villain in to decipher the code. Eventually Batman shows up, not super-impressed with the whole thing.

I think I actually bought the third and fourth issues a couple of weeks back, and had the fifth one somewhere...but it's nicer to have them all together at once. Grabbed all five at a Hastings for ninety-nine cents an issue, and a steal at that price!

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Heh. I have this, and it is hilarious. The Kevin Maguire artwork really sells the whole thing.

Well...and the puppy that ends up with the notebook too.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

It sure does Sally, but then Maguire's art can sell anything.

A nudist camp huh? I don't think that's been done yet in a Batman story, so kudos for slipping that one in.

SallyP said...

But it's TASTEFUL nudity!