Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Retro Toy Week: The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy!

Worst...post...ever. I am eating a burrito as I write this. Correction: I am messily eating a burrito as I write this. I am filled with shame... I've never had a comic book guy like Comic Book Guy. Well, there was one that was a bit more gothy, but I don't think I ever saw kids in that store... CBG (who, I still maintain, totally should've been named Louis Lane) is of course from Playmates The Simpsons line. He came with a playset for his shop, the Android's Dungeon, which I still have around here somewhere; and if you plug CBG into the pegs, the sound chip in the playset will rattle off some lines from the show. There were a couple alternate versions of him as well. His ponytail broke off at some point, but I had it in my accessory box...took me some time to figure out what it was, by itself. I'm not sure, but he might be the biggest Simpsons figure. I still enjoy the Simpsons, even though a chunk of fans consider the show's glory days far behind it. For some, Comic Book Guy is a playful jab at the foibles of fans and collectors; for others he's an unfunny blanket condemnation of our hobbies. Still, he's a fun figure, even if he's got what OAFE.net referred to as the "Springfield Four" for articulation: neck, shoulders, waist. Heck, the neck on my figure might be stuck. Still, he's not going for a ton on Amazon.com, so shop one around if you need the "Worst...figure...ever."

No comments: