Monday, June 21, 2010

If the Surfer still used his board like that, he might still have his own book.

I was looking for the second-to-last panel on this one, but it didn't scan out of the page, so here's the whole thing: from Silver Surfer Annual #3, "The Powers of the Silver Surfer's Board!" Words by Ron Marz, pictures by Ron Lim and Al Gordon.



I haven't posted a lot of Silver Surfer stuff here, but I've been reading his comics for years; even though it feels like it's been much longer than that since the Surfer had his own book. Aside from Requiem a few years back, I think the last in-continuity one was during Annihilation, and set up the still-current status quo for him: working for Galactus, and policing the universe with no sense of humor.

I've been wanting to go back and read some old issues, since the last year or so of the regular book, the Surfer had lost Zenn-La, which may or may not have been gone for some time. Returning to earth, he had lost all emotion, and went to Alicia Masters, who had helped him rediscover his humanity before when he first came to the planet. It was a really interesting premise, and I know there was a good issue of the Surfer beating the tar out of Spider-Man and Daredevil; but I don't think it wrapped up well. There were little gray aliens, since they were in at the time...

I always kinda liked the way Ron Marz wrote Galactus: not as unknowable, alien force of nature; but as a put-upon, disgruntled boss. To his eyes, Galactus gave the Surfer the universe and more, and all he hears is bitch, bitch, bitch.

No comments: