Wednesday, October 07, 2009

In stores today: Planetary #27



All apologies to Warren Ellis and John Cassaday, but the looooong-awaited final issue of Planetary hits today! That's worth a trip to the comic shop alone!

Jakita Wagner, the girl in the leather, does on occasion get to throw down within the pages of the comic; including a memorable bout with different versions of Batman. But her figure...not having it right next to me as I type this, I think she had three points of articulation. Five, tops. (Neck, both shoulders, maybe the wrists but maybe not. EDIT: Yeah, it's three.) These figures are from 2001, and DC Direct didn't make her for asskicking, they made her to stand there and look cool.

The Drummer gets more joints (as it were...) than his fellows, and that color scheme might be comic-accurate, but it's, well, horrifying. It does help him stand out on a shelf full of other figures, though. His sticks are non-removable as well. Re-reading the series for this, it felt like Drums makes one snide comment to Snow on his arrival; then Snow verbally pummels Drums for the rest of the series. And I'm being polite: "Living fart" is almost a term of endearment, in comparison to a lot of the things Elijah calls him.

I had to take the Elijah Snow action figure, and look at a Planetary cover, to confirm his buttons were that big. They reminded me of Mr. Do, for a moment. Elijah's figure doesn't get a helluva lot of articulation either (ball jointed necks would've really added to these) and in a nod to his powers; usually on my toy shelf, Elijah's holding an ice cream cone.

Some comic shops may still have the figures: take a look when you get Planetary #27! Now! Scoot! And now that I've made a big deal about this, I probably won't get to the comic shop until at least Friday...

2 comments:

SallyP said...

So...I assume this is a big deal then?

googum said...

Heck yeah! Even though it's late as all get-out. You're just lucky you could read it all at once, and not have to wait for it.

I am hoping the end is worth it, since it's not like the last issue ended on a big cliffhanger or anything...