Thursday, May 21, 2009

More X-Baseball, and probably not even all of it.

The prettying up of Rogue had begun by this point, but wasn't quite finished yet.
Before we get going on the next one, the ever-sharp Sea of Green pointed out to me another game of X-Men baseball, from Uncanny X-Men #201. Which I should've remembered: it's on my desk at work! It was reprinted for the Toy Biz Marvel Legends Cyclops figure, which is kinda mean, since in said issue Storm whups him good and Cyke is shamed off the team. Still, more baseball! Panel from "Duel" Written by Chris Claremont, pencils by Rick Leonardi, inks by Whilce Portacio; and I still miss getting action figures with reprinted comics. (If I were a He-Man fan paying $30 a pop for the new figures, I would raise bloody hell until I got a comic out of the deal, but that may just be me.)
A more complete team than usual, even without including the Multiple Man.
But, here's another fun-filled, heavy-hitting, bases-loaded...I'm out of baseball references. Steroid-juiced? Look, here's some panels from X-Men Evolution #7, "Beast of Burden" Written by Devin Grayson, art and colors by Udon with Long Vo, Charles Park, and Saka of Studio XD. That's a lot of art crew, but they do a helluva job keeping the comic looking like the cartoon, which is more than can be said for just about every other Marvel adaptation of their own shows. This issue fits in right after the Beast joins the school, and the young X-Men play a (mostly) friendly game with the younger New Mutants.
Nightcrawler could be the most acrobatic, and a klutz, on this show.
The game starts sans powers, but after Scott Summers joins in, the game goes inside to the Danger Room. It's not stated outright, but apparently indoors powers are fair game, which would make most hits easy pickings for fliers like Cannonball. In fact, Jubilee appears to be pitching while flashing fireworks at the batter. The X-Men would appear to be outgunned, but manage to pull out a last minute win, because the name of the book isn't New Mutants Evolution.
There's some baseball terms missed here and there, but not a bad issue.
Once again, I still don't see how DC can have so much more success with their adaptations, and Marvel can't even seem to keep a pretty decent one like this going.

3 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

Yeah, that's the one! That one always cracks me up, because Rogue is out there obviously struttin' her stuff -- and SAFELY, too, 'cause no one would dare touch her.

Geez, the X-men DO play a lot of baseball. Can't believe I didn't notice it before!

SallyP said...

That strikes me as a completely ridiculous outfit in which to play baseball.

Ace said...

Outfit? I thought she'd just woken up...