Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Oh, get your minds out of the gutter.
Thor and Hercules are talking about which one of them gets to kick Pluto's ass, you pervs. Pluto the lord of the underworld, not Pluto Mickey Mouse's dog. Oh, this is just going to get deeper, so let's move on.

Want to know a little secret? Probably get my blog license revoked for even mentioning this, so edge in close and keep it to yourself: I'm a big Thor fan, but on a good day, when he's written well, I like Hercules better. I got both Bob Layton miniseries when I was a kid, and have been breaking my legs trying to find my copy of the fill-in issue of Thor he took over. (Thor #356)

Hercules as a guest star in Avengers? Awesome. Hercules as a regular Avenger? What did Ben Franklin say about houseguests and fish? White wine and garlic for both? Anyway, for my money, Herc is more fun as the crazy partying thoughtless uncle-type, there to kick ass and pick up chicks, occasionally literally. On the team full-time, responsibility grinds the fun off of him...much like the rest of us, I suppose. Well, that's encouraging.

Oh, and also:



Hercules is all about visiting the shut-ins, man. Thor's just there to make sure everyone's story is the same. That's a lesson the Son of Zeus didn't need to be taught twice...

From the Mighty Thor #222, "Before the Gates of Hell!" Written by Gerry Conway, art by John Buscema and Joe Sinnott.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I HAVE this, and an excellent story it is. I had a major crush on Thor back when I was fifteen, and it was mainly due to the art of John Buscema, whom I miss. But Hercules IS fun. Have you read the mini where he defeats Galactus by getting him drunk?

Anonymous said...

Defeats Galactus by getting him drunk? Something I gotta see.